Are you interested in being a panelist, workshop facilitator, or performer at our next event?
We are now accepting applications! Before completing the Panel, Workshop and Stage Performance Application Form, please read the text below. It contains all sorts of information to help you along the way. Additional information is also provided in the application form itself under the Terms and Conditions section.
Please note that we require a separate application for each panel, workshop, or stage performance that you will be applying to run. All applications must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 pm EST on August 19th, 2015.
A room devoted to anime
That’s right! We’re devoting a whole room to anime content at our next event, and we’re looking for applications for panels and workshops about anime and My Little Pony. Topics could include (but are not limited to): cosplay, how to draw manga, an “anime name that tune” contest, calligraphy, Lolita fashion, etc. We’re also looking for someone to run a fabric swap.
What is a panel?
Panels focus on providing information and promoting discussion, as directed by a panelist or group of panelists. As the panel host, you will be in charge of leading a discussion for a length of 45 minutes.
What is a workshop?
A Workshop’s main focus is practical learning. Your goal as a workshop facilitator will be to educate a group of up to 20 workshop attendees in a new technique or skill. Workshops will be held in 45 minute segment (e.g. 45 min, 90 min, etc.).
What is a stage performance?
Stage performances include (but are not limited to) musical, comedy, and dance acts as well as gaming activities being played out on the stage. These performances are meant to entertain participants in a fun environment. Educational training (e.g. medieval sword fighting) activities that require a safe distance from the crowd may also apply to this category.
The Jurying Process
A team of Ottawa Geek Market staff will be jurying all applications between August 19th and August 22nd, 2015.
We will be focusing our selection on the following criteria:
- General completeness of application. The more detail the better!
- Availability. Priority may be given to applicants who are available on both the Saturday and Sunday of our event. Please let us know if there are any blocks of time that you will be unavailable to present.
- Prior experience. Have you hosted panels, workshops or stage performances at other events? Are you a great public speaker? Are you frequently teaching your friends? These are things we want to know and will consider when you are applying.
- Level of interest. Due to limited space, we will only be considering panels that fall into the most general fan categories. While we would love to hear you discuss your favorite anime, TV show, video game, etc., we are looking for panels and workshops that will appeal to a large group of attendees.
- The Ottawa Geek Market is proud to be a bilingual event. We are glad to be able to provide programming in both languages. For this reason preference may be given to presenters who are able to present in French and in English.
We are happy to offer our panelists, workshop facilitators, and stage performers with a one day pass per presenter/assistant (to a maximum of three per panel/workshop per day) as a thank you for your time. Please contact us directly regarding groups of five or more for event passes and arrangements will be made on a case-by-case basis. Be sure to explain who will be presenting/assisting when filling out your application.
How to fill out the form electronically
This form can be filled out electronically if you have Adobe Reader XI. To download your free reader, please click: http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/reader.html
Once you have the form open:
- Click on the “Sign” button near the top right corner of the page.
- To fill out the contents of the form, click on the “Add Text” option on the right side of the page. Click on each line you’d like to fill out and type in the information. You might find that you’ll need to fiddle a bit with where you click in the “quantity” fields. It seems to work best if you click at the left corner of those fields.
- We require a true signature in the “signature” field. To add your signature, click the “place signature” option on the right side of the page. Click on the drop down menu that appears at the top of the newly opened pane and click on the “Draw My Signature” option. Draw your signature, then click accept. Then place your signature on the signature line.
- Save the form, and email it to us. 🙂
July 24th – application process opens
August 19th – application deadline
August 23rd – all applicants contacted
August 31st – cancellation deadline
September 4th – panel/workshop/stage performance schedule will be posted
September 19th – presentations must be submitted for review