We’re looking to hire a volunteer Assistant for our Show Manager Julie! This could be a great opportunity for candidates to gain work experience that could help further their career and is a great a way to help shape our organization. It would also be a great opportunity for anyone interested in learning about event management or planning.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying, please send a resume and cover letter (the more creative the better) to Julie Belaire (our Show Manager) at email@example.com by Sunday August 20th. Successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Roles and Responsibilities
The tasks for the Assistant to the Show Manager position include but are not limited to:
- Assisting with event set up and tear down.
- Assisting the Show Manager with taking notes during the event (pros/cons/issues).
- Assisting with problem-solving in the event of any issues with patrons, exhibitors, volunteers and staff.
- Covering breaks for various staff during the event.
- Relaying messages to staff as needed.
- Ensuring all tables, displays, signage and all other sections are well-maintained and visually appealing.
- Ensuring that the venue and its rooms are free of debris and garbage.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Be able to manouever through the event for hours at a time in a noisy and often crowded environment.
- Have a minimum of 1 year experience in a customer service role.
- Have excellent communications and customer service skills.
- Be available to work all day/evenings September 28th, 29th, and 30th.
- Have reliable access to transportation (public transit, own vehicle etc.).
- Be available to attend minimum one (1) training session prior to the event.
Preference will be given to bilingual applicants and applicants who have previous event management experience.
Our Commitment to Diversity and a Safe Environment
It’s important to us to have a diverse management team to help us see things from different perspectives. We welcome applications from any volunteer, who is 18+ years of age, and who is comfortable working with individuals from different backgrounds. We especially encourage applications from individuals who are interested in contributing to the geeky community, are a member of a visible minority, are a person with a disability, or are geeks on the LGBTQ+ rainbow.
We are committed to providing a safe, harassment-free, welcoming, and fun work environment.
We Take Accessibility Seriously
We work hard to make our event as accessible as possible for our volunteers, exhibitors, and patrons. Should you require any medical accommodations, please don’t hesitate to let us know. It’s important to us that all volunteers feel respected, enjoy their time with us, and have their accommodations needs met.
Upon individual request, we will modify our hiring processes to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities. If you require any accommodations to fully and fairly participate in the application, interview or selection process, please contact Stacey at 613-862-3556, and we will work to provide you with a suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account your accessibility needs.
Like our regular level volunteer positions, all managers on our team get compensated for the hours they volunteer (both before and during the event) at the a rate of $5 per 4 hours worked, to a maximum of $100 paid in Geek Market vouchers that can be used to purchase items at the event. We also provide meals for our managers during the weekend of the event since they work such long hours, a manager tshirt, and other small perks.