If you’ve ever wanted to learn about (or work in) human resources, then you should consider applying to be our Assistant Volunteer Coordinator! It would also be a great opportunity for anyone interested in learning about event management or planning.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying, please send a resume to Nathan (our Volunteer Coordinator) at [email protected] by September 7th. Successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The tasks for the Volunteer Coordinator Assistant position include but are not limited to:
- Assisting with event set up and tear down of the volunteer room.
- Monitoring and handling administrative tasks.
- Ensuring that cosplayers’ property and the property of volunteers is protected and secure.
- Communicating important information to and from the volunteer coordinators, other managers and volunteers.
- Working alone for long periods of time.
- Relaying messages to staff as needed.
- Ensuring all tables, displays, signage and all other sections in the volunteer room are well-maintained and visually appealing.
- Aiding with volunteer morale.
- Answering the questions and concerns of all volunteers.
- Keeping good notes on the positives and negatives of the event and where we need to improve in the future.
- Accepting other duties as assigned.
- Be able to manoeuvre through the event for hours at a time in a noisy and often crowded environment.
- Have a minimum of 1 year experience in a customer service and administrative role.
- Have excellent communications and customer service skills.
- Be available to work all day/evenings September 28th, 29th, and 30th.
- Have reliable access to transportation (public transit, own vehicle etc.).
- Be available to attend minimum one (1) training session prior to the event.
Preference will be given to bilingual applicants and applicants who have previous event management experience.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND A SAFE ENVIRONMENT
It’s important to us to have a diverse management team to help us see things from different perspectives. We welcome applications from any volunteer, who is 18+ years of age, and who is comfortable working with individuals from different backgrounds. We especially encourage applications from individuals who are interested in contributing to the geeky community, are a member of a visible minority, are a person with a disability, or are geeks on the LGBTQ+ rainbow.
We are committed to providing a safe, harassment-free, welcoming, and fun work environment.
WE TAKE ACCESSIBILITY SERIOUSLY
We work hard to make our event as accessible as possible for our volunteers, exhibitors, and patrons. Should you require any medical accommodations, please don’t hesitate to let us know. It’s important to us that all volunteers feel respected, enjoy their time with us, and have their accommodations needs met.
Upon individual request, we will modify our hiring processes to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities. If you require any accommodations to fully and fairly participate in the application, interview or selection process, please contact Stacey at 613-862-3556, and we will work to provide you with a suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account your accessibility needs.
Like our regular level volunteer positions, all managers on our team get compensated for the hours they volunteer (both before and during the event) at the a rate of $5 per 4 hours worked, to a maximum of $100 paid in Geek Market vouchers that can be used to purchase items at the event. We also provide meals for our managers during the weekend of the event since they work such long hours, a manager tshirt, and other small perks.