When we founded the Geek Market in 2012 one of our goals was to donate as much money as possible to local charities while supporting our amazing geeky community. Since our inception we’ve proudly raised more than $29,000 for local charities, donated more than $14,000 in admission tickets, and awarded $8,000 in arts scholarships. Here’s where the money’s gone:
When it came time to choose a charitable focus for our October 2015 event we wanted something “future”-themed since our event was taking place the same month that Marty and Doc travel to the future in Back to the Future II. And then it dawned on us…there’s no future to our fandoms if there aren’t any artists to make them. And voila! The Ottawa Geek Market Arts Scholarship Program was born, and we’ve been doing it ever since.
- For our October 2015 event, we ran a visual arts competition and gave $1,000 scholarships to three very deserving local artists in the categories of cosplay, 2D art, and 3D art.
- For our April 2016 event, we ran a short-story writing competition and gave $1,000 scholarships to three very talented writers in the categories of sci-fi, fantasy, and horror.
- For our October 2016 event, we ran a cosplay accessories competition and gave $1,000 scholarships to two amazing cosplay artists in the categories of jewellery and other accessories.
Over the years, we’ve proudly supported local charities that we felt our patrons would either benefit from or that were in line with their own interests. Here are the various charities that we’ve donated money to:
- CHEO: $455.55 (raised by the Royal Princess Society at October 2015 Geek Market)
- Distress Center of Ottawa and Region: $846.67 (raised at the October 2013 Geek Market)
- Jer’s Vision: $846.67 (raised at the October 2013 Geek Market)
- Kids Help Phone: $846.67 (raised at the October 2013 Geek Market)
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of Eastern Ontario: $2,400 (raised in October 2012)
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit of CHEO (thanks to the Doctor Who Society of Canada)
- $355.30 (raised at October 2015 Geek Market)
- $465.55 (raised at the April 2016 Geek Market)
- Rideau Valley Wildlife Sanctuary: $7,430.41 (raised at the October 2014 Geek Market)
- $7,224.41 donated by the Geek Market
- $206 donated by The League Of Super Heroes
- Royal Ottawa Foundation for Mental Health: $6,244 (raised at the March 2014 Geek Market)
- $5,644 donated by the Geek Market
- $600 donated by UsedOttawa.com
- TEMA: Because Heroes Are Human: $7,881.15 (raised at the March 2015 Geek Market)
- Tysen’s Mission to a Million:
- $609.60 (raised at the 2016 winter garage sale)
- $591.25 (raised at the 2016 summer garage sale)
Donated Admission Tickets
In March 2015, we hosted a super hero-themed event and chose TEMA: Because Heroes Are Human (an organization devoted to helping first responders deal with mental health issues that they acquired on the job) as our receiving charity. To demonstrate our support to these real life superheroes, we welcomed first responders, military, and correctional officers with free access to our event, which amounted to well over $14,000 in admission tickets.
Do you have an item you’d like to donate?
We’re always happy to receive donations of new or gently used items to sell at our Geek Market Bazaar to help raise funds for our arts scholarship. If you’d like to donate an item, please contact Stacey at firstname.lastname@example.org.